Specialized health condition websites
These websites are often an excellent resource for helpful information, the location of local support services as well as current news about the condition or disease.
- ALS Association - leads the way in research, patient and community services, public education, and advocacy for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease, a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord.
- American Liver Foundation facilitates, advocates and promotes education, support and research for the prevention, treatment and cure of liver disease.
- American Lung Association is the leading organization working to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease through education, advocacy and research.
- Huntington's Disease Society of America is dedicated to finding a cure for Huntington's Disease, a devastating, hereditary, degenerative brain disorder.
- Kidney Cancer Association educates families and physicians, and serves as an advocate on behalf of patients at the state and federal levels.
- Lupus Foundation of America, Inc. is dedicated to finding the causes of and cure for lupus and providing support, services and hope to all people affected by lupus, a chronic inflammatory disease that can affect various parts of the body.
- Myasthenia Gravis Foundation of America, Inc. is committed to finding a cure for myasthenia gravis, a chronic autoimmune neuromuscular disorder, and closely related disorders, improving treatment options, and providing information and support to people with myasthenia gravis through research, education, community programs and advocacy.
- National Hemophilia Foundation is dedicated to finding better treatments and cures for bleeding and clotting disorders and to preventing the complications of these disorders through education, advocacy and research.
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society helps people affected by MS by funding cutting-edge research, driving change through advocacy, facilitating professional education, and providing programs and services that help people with MS and their families move their lives forward.
- National Organization of Rare Disorders is dedicated to helping people with rare "orphan" diseases, a disease affecting fewer than 200,000 people in the United States, and assisting the organizations that serve them. NORD is committed to the identification, treatment, and cure of rare disorders through programs of education, advocacy, research, and service.
- Sjögren's Syndrome Foundation provides patients with practical information and coping strategies that minimize the effects of Sjögren's syndrome, a chronic autoimmune disease in which people’s white blood cells attack their moisture-producing glands, as well as the clearinghouse for medical information and the recognized national advocate for Sjögren's syndrome
- Spina Bifida Association is dedicated to enhancing the lives of those with Spina Bifida, which literally means “split spine” and happens when a baby is in the womb and the spinal column does not close all of the way, and those whose lives are touched by this challenging birth defect. Its tools are education, advocacy, research, and service.
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society has a goal to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families to be achieved by funding lifesaving blood cancer research around the world and providing free information and support services.
- The Myositis Association aims to provide information, support, advocacy and research for those concerned about myositis, the general term for swelling of the muscles. Injury, infection, certain medicines and even exercise can be responsible for the temporary inflammation of muscles, but there are other unknown causes which are responsible for chronic inflammation and muscle loss.
- The Paget Foundation is the premier resource for information on Paget's disease of bone, the second most prevalent bone disease after osteoporosis. The Foundation also provides information on other bone-related conditions including primary hyperparathyroidism, fibrous dysplasia and the rare disease osteopetrosis.
- Tuberous Sclerosis Alliance is dedicated to finding a cure for tuberous sclerosis complex, a genetic disorder that causes tumors to form in many different organs, primarily in the brain, eyes, heart, kidney, skin and lungs, while improving the lives of those affected.